At some point in their lifetime, everyone needs a little help and guidance. Pamela Whitaker helps people prepare for the time when they or their loved ones will face issues such as aging, incapacity, professional long-term care, and death.
Elder law encompasses all of the aspects of planning, counseling, educating, and advocating for seniors. In addition to seniors, Pamela Whitaker represents caregivers and fiduciaries, including children, guardians, trustees, and agents who have the responsibility of caring for an elderly person or disabled adult.
While good planning is important at all stages of life, it is a must for the elderly. The legal problems of the elderly are often linked to the aging process and can include problems of incapacity and long-term health care issues. Pamela assists clients in:
- Planning for possible long-term care needs
- Coordinating private and public resources, such as Medicaid, to finance the cost of care
- Advocating to ensure our client's right to quality care
Pamela goes beyond conventional issues and offer practical assistance to our clients in a number of areas, including:
- Drafting durable powers of attorney. These documents allow individuals to name a legal agent to assist them with day-to-day management of financial affairs and health care needs. Medical and financial durable powers of attorney provide an inexpensive means of ensuring seniors' wishes are known and followed, even when they can no longer advocate for themselves.
- Health Care and End-of-Life Directives. Through Advance Health Care Directives, one can formally state his or her feelings concerning artificial life support issues.
- Fiduciary Representation. We represent guardians, conservators, trustees, and agents under power of attorney who are responsible for a senior, minor, or disabled adult.
- Litigation. We represent litigants in a broad range of court proceedings, including guardianship cases and incompetency proceedings.
- Public Benefit Counseling. We advise seniors and family members on public benefit programs such as Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security..
- Medicaid Planning. This may include assisting with an application for benefits, the creation of a disability trust, or other steps that would allow you to qualify for Medicaid to pay for long-term care expenses.
- Estate and Gift Tax Advice. Our attorneys can advise you on your options and reporting requirements.
Contact Pamela Whitaker through this web site or call (336) 622-3553 to set up an appointment. While we are located in Liberty, we are willing to travel to meet you.